Petition to change to Single Transferable Vote as an electoral system for Parliament.

Morten_Frank

Citizen
Morten_Frank
Morten_Frank
To guarantee that we get the MPs that we most prefer, the Republic of Stratham should change to the Single Transferable vote system, to elect our representatives to Parliament.

To sign this petition, reply "I <username> sign this petition"

Ryan_88

Prime Minister
Prime Minister
Minister of Health
Department of Internal Development
Department of State
Department of Justice
Lawyer
Donator
Ryan_88
Ryan_88
Prime Minister
That's sounds incredibly overly complicated when you can just choose the MPs you want and then you still get the "MPs that we most prefer".

Morten_Frank

Citizen
Morten_Frank
Morten_Frank
That's sounds incredibly overly complicated when you can just choose the MPs you want and then you still get the "MPs that we most prefer".
I don't believe that it would be outrageously complicated, all it would require is functionality for more than one poll in order to put in preferences and someone to count the vote that only totals in the 20s anyway, I don't see how it would take more than 15-20 minutes, I would be more than happy to do it myself. As for choosing the MPs you want, it is true that the system we currently have does let you do this, but it is does not really make a multi-party government, most of the time with parties people will just vote for their party's candidates and the party with the most votes gets every seat, like the Australian Senate in 1914. But an STV system it would be easy for two to five parties to all co-exist, making a constructive and multi-faceted government.

Ryan_88

Prime Minister
Prime Minister
Minister of Health
Department of State
Department of Justice
Lawyer
Donator
Ryan_88
Ryan_88
Prime Minister
I still fail to see your point, our voting system completely allows for members multiple parties to exist in Parliament. Every citizen is allowed to select up to 3 MPs.

Morten_Frank

Citizen
Morten_Frank
Morten_Frank
Ok, so, an example. There are two parties, lets call them A and B, and they both put forward 5 members, and they are elected through our current system, where every voter has 3 selections to make. Lets say A has around 60% of the support and B has 40%. The voters for A, like they do in our system, vote pretty randomly, then they will all get about 3/5 of their party's supporters as that is the maximum people can select, so all their candidates will get about 36% of the vote. The voters for B, will naturally do the same, and so their candidates will only get around 24% of the vote. Since every A candidate got more than that, A will elect 5 MPs. But if it were a single transferable vote system, then A would end up with 3/5 of the vote and get 3/5 of the seats, because their votes exhaust as they elect members, making it a much fairer Parliament.

Ryan_88

Prime Minister
Prime Minister
Minister of Health
Department of State
Department of Justice
Lawyer
Donator
Ryan_88
Ryan_88
Prime Minister
This server doesn't function like whatever government you're trying to base this election system from. It's worked perfectly fine for many years and changing it now only makes people more players confused and frankly making this whole server more unstable than it already is. Multiple political parties have managed to exist in Parliament before and it's not changing anytime soon. Just because there's only one political party existent right now does not mean it's suddenly time to change the election system. In a small parliament of only five members that system opens up chances for random people to become MPs that have no intention of serving the public, but only pushing petty party politics just to stop any real work from getting done.