Answered / Added Library Upgrade

Username: Cybersimsgeek

Suggestion Title: Library Update

Elaborate (Why do you think it should be added, how will it improve the server, etc.): Something that I have noticed regarding the server is that the library doesn’t seem to get as much use out of it as it possibly could. Something that I was excited about when first venturing into the library when I joined the server was getting the opportunity to read works written by other members of the community/server; but the shelves are barren. I do understand that there are writers on the server that sell that works, but I feel like the library should get some lovin’ as well. So, what I am here to suggest is that we introduce a new profession/career, along with new ways of bringing in revenue and books to the library. The career being a librarian, and the ways of bringing in revenue from/to the library could be with the addition of library cards.

To check out books from the library, one could do so with a library card. To get said library card, one would need to pay for one to receive access to all books located in the library for two months. Once those two months expire, they would need to renew it for a fee that would be less than what they’d originally paid to obtain the library card. There could be some form of code that the librarians have “printed” on the card, along with the date to determine whether the cards are expired. The code would change every time to prevent forging library cards (would be similar to how medical supplies are). Of course, if books are overdue – a fee can be charged when returned; and if one refuses to return a book or loses a book there can be a strike or penalty against their library “membership”. The revenue from this can go towards setting up library-based events (slam poetry, writing workshops, book clubs).

Here is how we could potentially get the content onto the shelves. Those that are writers on the server can “donate” books of theirs to the library. It can be new books, old books, articles, etc. that they have written. With donating these books, they can be given the opportunity to advertise their store and/or literary business or new releases, along with receiving a percentage (5%, for example) of the funds that come in from the library cards, etc. It can be paid out weekly and/or monthly. This would help to encourage writers in donating their books to the library (giving people content to read), while also giving writers the opportunity to make a profit from books/content that they may no longer be making a profit from.

It may be a bit over the top, but I think that it could add a bit of life to the library. I apologize for the lengthiness of my response, but I wanted to be as specific as possible to give you an idea as to what’s going on in my head.

Mineqaft

Citizen
i agree, but maybe have a system where people cant take all of the books at once. when i first started out as a writer, i was bummed that the library had no way to support writers (besides the cheap books, but that's also at spawn). I want to put books in the bookshelves, but there's no monetary benefit and I can't stop someone from taking all the copies meant for the public. Btw, there's currently over 220 empty bookshelves (yes i counted)

i agree, but maybe have a system where people cant take all of the books at once. when i first started out as a writer, i was bummed that the library had no way to support writers (besides the cheap books, but that's also at spawn). I want to put books in the bookshelves, but there's no monetary benefit and I can't stop someone from taking all the copies meant for the public. Btw, there's currently over 220 empty bookshelves (yes i counted)
Definitely. My line of thinking was that it would be treated how things are irl; where one would need to check out a book. There would be a log, along with a limit, of how many were/can be checked out at any one time (this would include the person that checked out the books). Not quite sure if there is a way for this to be done without a librarian present, but if there is it would be quite beneficial. Also, I commend you for counting all of the shelves lol.

Mineqaft

Citizen
hopefully your idea gets approved :)
you can also ask the candidates in the upcoming debate about what their views on the library are