Koalition

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Koalition
Koalition
Title: Changing the city creation system
Type of motion (Edit, removal, creation): Edit
Elaboration & Reasoning: I'm pretty sure most of you are familiar with the current city creation system. Right now, it's pretty hard to make a new city, and no one so far has managed to do it. Many people who also tried gave up because the task seemed to be impossible. So, I proposed another system originally to the staff for their opinions and now to the Parliament for approval.
This is the system I'm proposing:
  • The DoC would flatten land of any future city that is (relatively) near the capital city.
  • Once that is done, a region will be made so it could be protected.
  • Then it will be decided whether the city will be private or government-owned.
    • Private: The region and land would be sold to a player, who would be the owner of the city and the landlord of all the future plots of the city. The player would be known as the Mayor of the city and would be able to appoint members to the city council, who would help them run the city. They would be responsible for the construction of the city.
    • Government-owned: The region and land would belong to the Government, and the Government would be landlord of all plots in the city. Members of the city council would be elected by the people (3-5), who would run the city and get paid by the Government to do so (either a fixed wage or preferably a percentage for every plot sold --> Government would get 25% and the remaining 75% would be split between the 3 or 5 Councillors).
      • The Councillors would then pick a leader among themselves who'll be the Chairman of the Council and the City Mayor.
      • The council would be responsible for managing the city.
      • The Department of Construction would de jure be responsible for construction of the city, but would have to listen to the wishes of the council.
What would benefit from this: Everyone, as there will be more cities and therefore more jobs -> the server will be more busy and more populated. It would also place some players in position of authority (city management).
Other Information: The government has already started work on this by flattening a land and having it regioned.

BigBen9999

Citizen
This would be really good as an addition to the current law or an option. I say this because what if you want city to be in a certain biome or area?

FlappyChickens

Gucci Gang Veteran
Donator
Would the DoC region it, then sell it to anyone who wishes to buy that land for a city? If not, how does that whole system work?

xSyncx

Scamalot
Donator
Aye, If this is accepted. I'll be the first person to build a city.

How much would land be?

SlimeEmperor

Mayor of Covington
Donator
I'll probably immediately buy land if/when this is accepted. Sounds like a great idea. But there should be some sort of "officialization" to make sure there aren't cities that are eyesores.

_Epoch

Citizen
Donator
I also agree, but I think there needs to be a limit of how many cities we have if now everyones wants to go and buy lands for cities and we have 10 cities with only 2 citizens each, it would be rather pointless, I think people should first band together to create a city and not having multiple tiny cities with few buildings and few citizens, it would be foolish if the people a part of the council are its only citizens..

Koalition

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Koalition
Koalition
Would the DoC region it, then sell it to anyone who wishes to buy that land for a city? If not, how does that whole system work?
The new city would have to be regioned by a Senior Admin+ due to priorities and flags.

How much would land be?
Depends on the size of the region, the biome and the distance from the capital.

But there should be some sort of "officialization" to make sure there aren't cities that are eyesores.
Yes, the private cities would have to have Government's blessing to make it official.

I also agree, but I think there needs to be a limit of how many cities we have if now everyones wants to go and buy lands for cities and we have 10 cities with only 2 citizens each, it would be rather pointless, I think people should first band together to create a city and not having multiple tiny cities with few buildings and few citizens, it would be foolish if the people a part of the council are its only citizens..
Well not everyone would have the opportunity to do it, as they would have to wait for the Government and Staff to find the land, flatten it and region in. And obviously, we won't be making 5 cities at a time.

Reactions: Kat

FlappyChickens

Gucci Gang Veteran
Donator
Okay then, but after the land has been regioned, do they sell it to someone? How does that part of it work. Also, does the DoC build on the land and then let go of the land? Does the DoC build on the land after someone bought it? How does this all work out and how would pricing work? Although I feel that this plan has a lot of potential, there are too many holes in it for me to agree to it.

Koalition

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Koalition
Koalition
after the land has been regioned, do they sell it to someone?
If it's decided that the city is going to be a private city, then yes it'll be sold or auctioned off. Either way, the Government would be making a post about it on forums to see who's interested in purchasing the land for the city.

does the DoC build on the land and then let go of the land? Does the DoC build on the land after someone bought it?
The first (and only task of the DoC when it comes to private cities) is to find the location of the new city, have a way to connect it via highway and flatten the land. If the city is government-owned, then DoC would still continue to build on it if requested by the appointed/elected council.

How does this all work out and how would pricing work?
Depends on the size of the region, the biome and the distance from the capital.
All blocks would be calculated and then multiplied by a number (most likely 4, just like wilderness claims) and/or auctioned off. This is if the city is decided to be private and not government-owned.

FlappyChickens

Gucci Gang Veteran
Donator
Alright, that make more sense. Is there any idea on how the money would be handled after the city is created. Does it all go to the mayor, a city government system, or split between the city government on a wage?

Koalition

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Koalition
Koalition
Alright, that make more sense. Is there any idea on how the money would be handled after the city is created. Does it all go to the mayor, a city government system, or split between the city government on a wage?
Private Cities
The owner (and therefore mayor) of the city would be the landlord of all the plots. They would get all the money from all plots sold. They would also have to manually pay the Councillors an amount they agreed to.

Government-owned Cities
The landlord of the plots is the Government. After a plot is sold, the Government would automatically get all the money. The Mayors and Councillors would either get a fixed wage (like the other government paid jobs), or a percentage from plots. So a weekly report from the city council that says that, let's say, 3 plots were sold this week. Government would get 25% and the remaining 75% would be split between the 3 or 5 Councillors.